The desk study is mainly conducted for informational and basic planning purposes at pre-feasibility level. A desk study comprises of gathering exiting information on the area of interest and interpretation thereof in order to identify the expected constraints that may affect the developability of a site.
The basic report structure generally comprises at least the following:
- Introduction emphasising the purpose and limitations of the study
- Site locality and description
- Regional and site specific topography
- Regional and expected site specific geology
- Expected geotechnical constraints
- Expected construction materials
- Way forward
The above is simplified and generalised and will be dependent on the objectives of the desk study.